Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Say Cheese? How About No, Please!

I think the hardest part about being a vegan is not the lack of meat or even the lack of butter, but the lack of dairy! If I'm in the grocery store, looking at the ingredients of an item, if I cannot eat it, it is usually because there is some sort of dairy product involved. This could potentially be the most aggravating thing when it comes to finding products you can trust to be truly vegan! But don't worry, I have been doing a ton of research on this and I have found some awesome products, that I happen to love and I think you will too! Also, I made these cool Pizza bagels today, they were super good and one pizza bagel is only about 75 calories or so, not bad for pizza, right?!
As the pizza bagels go, why can't we splurge a little? I mean, non-vegans probably do more often, I think we have the right to as well! Bellow is the list of ingredients I used and the directions.

1 bagel thin, sliced in half (so you get two pizzas).
2 tablespoons of marinara sauce (1 tablespoon per slice).
1 tablespoon or less of finely chopped onion.
1 tablespoon or less of finely chopped mushrooms.
2 tablespoons of fresh basil, sliced.
1 slice of Tofutti mozzarella soy cheese.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the bagel in half and place on a cookie sheet.
Add 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce to each slice, spread evenly.
Add 1 tablespoon of fresh sliced basil on top of the marinara sauce.
Cut the Tofutti mozzarella soy cheese in pieces and place on top of each bagel slice. (optional).
Top with the chopped onions and mushrooms (all ingredients are optional of course, if you do not like one, swap it for another, or just get rid of it all together!).
Place cookie sheet on middle rack of oven.
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes. The cheese should look soft, but not melted (soy cheese very rarely melts, because of the lack of dairy).

And now back to my favorite non-dairy products!
The brand Tofutti is one that you may see me refer to a bundle! That's because I love it so much, they make so many great dairy-free products! Like multiple types of cheeses (as used above), some pretty fabulous ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, chocolate peanut butter, strawberry cheesecake! They make Tofutti Cuties which are the equivalent to ice cream bars. Better Than Cream Cheese, which if you couldn't tell is the vegan version of cream cheese. Sour Supreme, their version of dairy-free sour cream! Pizza! So many more frozen food items! And can you believe it, chocolate fudge treats! The list goes on and on, It's like heaven for a vegan!
Amy's Products are probably one of my favorite companies ever, think about anything you could eat (non-vegan) and they make it, vegan! It's super awesome! They make more prepared foods than foods you would put together, such as the pizza I created above. Speaking of which, my personal favorites by Amy's has to be the Roasted Vegetable Pizza, and the Light in Sodium- Lentil Vegetable Soup (it may be low in sodium, but its high in flavor!). Try her products, I recommend them!
Another option is to buy your foods online and have them shipped, check out the Vegan Essentials website, this is exactly what it's for! Also, they have more than just food items! Everything on the website is vegan, including supplements, which can be extremely hard to find, due to the animal and fish oils used to make some supplements.

Hope my suggestions are useful! Also hope you like the pizza!

2 comments:

  1. I use English muffins for my homemade mini pizzas, they are dairy and egg-free (depending on the brand). They taste more like pizza crusts to me than the bagel does, plus they don't have that annoying hole in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! You don't have to use the bagels, english muffins work just as well! I tend to saty away from them, only because I have not found a brand that I enjoy. But these are all options, the recipes can be altered to however you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete